Since the independent type foundry Underscore was founded in 2017 a lot of hard work has gone into launching our first retail typefaces and a dedicated webshop. It is with great pride that after much effort and refinement the website now integrates an exclusive webshop! With it, Underscore launches its first two retail typeface families, Silta — a humanist sans serif for interface typography — and Jozef — a modern serif text family with decorative capitals.
The key motivation for running a dedicated webshop is to provide you with the best experience for evaluating and purchasing fonts, as well as providing direct and uncomplicated support to our font users. As per our manifesto, quality is central to how Underscore operates. This goes beyond just the quality of our carefully crafted retail typefaces. Other stages involved in the licensing and use of fonts are equally important and Underscore wants to offer customers the best possible experience. The website itself is designed to be easy to use, communicate purchase options and pricing clearly, and offer an aesthetically pleasing interface for all that.
Underscore webshop in a nutshell
Some of our webshop’s delightful aspects, which you will hopefully come to enjoy:
- A simple and straight forward licensing model (and EULA) that makes it easy to pick the right option for your needs and operation scope
- Formats should not stand in the way of your creativity. With every licence you get all relevant font formats — OTF, TTF as well as WOFF & WOFF2 — and all our licences cover desktop as well as web use
- The typeface pages feature interactive type testers for you to try out your own sample text, or evaluate the fonts in various paragraph and word examples
- Free demo fonts are available to all registered users. Sign up, download and test if our fonts are a fit for your project before you purchase
- And to make registering and ordering easy, you can opt to log in with your social media accounts
- Quality in our typefaces also means a wide language support by default. To this end, our site showcases our fonts’ language support and charset range with samples and a comprehensive list of what is included in Underscore fonts
- We value transparency and interaction, so our own webshop allows us to offer support and uncomplicated interaction between font users and type designers to respond to your feedback, questions and custom licensing needs
- Our typefaces spring from design and legibility research, careful reflection on design trends past and present, as well as observations based on experience in interface design, graphic design, calligraphy, programming and digital media. Those backgrounds and sources of inspiration we explore in our article section, which will hopefully provide you some insight into our work and spark discussion
The Underscore webshop will no doubt continue to evolve, and for that end we also welcome your feedback. Many features are already in preparation or planning, and we stand by our commitment to continuous improvement and making the site better and serving your needs as customers.
A warm welcome to have a look around and let us know what you think!
Also published on Medium.